At this year’s Family Online Safety Institute’s Annual Conference in Washington, D.C., Bristol University neuroscientist, Paul Howard-Jones, shared findings that examined the impact of the internet on our brains and also discussed the positive impact of video gaming. After providing the disclaimer that he isn’t an expert on online safety, Howard-Jones shared the following facts about gaming:
- Digitally based training can improve working memory
- Action video games actually improve visual spatial skills and teach players to tune out visual distractions while teaching transferable skills
- Video games provide a rapid schedule of rewards to the brain, stimulating the mind in a way that mimics the effect of psychostimulating drugs
To celebrate the positive effects that video games can have on the brain, Ubisoft is providing 2 readers with Nintendo DS Lite prize packs, each containing a Nintendo DS Lite and 4 games that will include an assortment of Imagine and Petz titles.
About Imagine games— Designed for girls ages 6-14, the Imagine line allows girls to explore their favorite interests and hobbies in an interactive way. Title such as Animal Doctor, Artist, Teacher, Gymnast, etc, are themed so game play focuses on learning the skills associated with the profession in an fun and engaging way while being able to build a business. Games retail for $29.99 each and can often be found on Amazon for less.
- Complete the Tech Savvy Mama reader survey if you haven’t completed it as part of my Xbox giveaway. Those who have not completed the survey will receive 2 entries- 1 for the survey, 1 for leaving a comment below saying you completed the survey. If you have completed the survey as an optional Xbox entry, leave a comment to let me know you’ve done so and you’ll still get 1 entry into this giveaway. Please note that all responses will remain anonymous. If your comment is selected, I will check to make sure you really did complete the survey. If you just comment below without completing the survey, your entry will not be valid. (1 or 2 entries)
- Share one technique you use to limit screen time in your home. Include your email/Twitter handle. (1 entry)
- Subscribe to Tech Savvy Mama via RSS or email. Include your email/Twitter handle to let me know you’ve done so. (1 entry)
- Follow me on Twitter and leave your Twitter handle in your comment. (1 entry)
- Tweet this daily and leave your Twitter handle in the comments: I entered to win @TechSavvyMama’s @Ubisoft @Nintendo DS #giveaway! Enter here before 12/9: http://bit.ly/UbisoftNintendoDS (1 entry/day)
- Blog about this giveaway and include “TechSavvyMama.com is giving away 2 Nintendo DS Lites with 4 Petz and Imagine games by Ubisoft” with this link http://bit.ly/UbisoftNintendoDS. Leave a permalink and your email/Twitter handle in your comment. (10 entries)
Thanks for reading Tech Savvy Mama through your feed!
Original post by Tech Savvy Mama