We know that technology requires batteries and while we love the fact that our devices are getting smaller and more portable, they rely on smaller coin size button-type batteries that are hazardous for young children. Commonly found in remote controls for MP3 players, they are also in other devices such as singing or talking greeting cards or books, flameless candles, car keys, bathroom scales, and calculators, button batteries are very dangerous. These batteries can get stuck in a child’s throat and can cause serious burns in the esophagus in less than 2 hours.
3,400 reported cases of ingestion (many more went unreported), 19 serious injuries, and some deaths were caused by button batteries in 2010.
What can you do to keep your child safe?
Here are some tips to be mindful of especially as new devices make their way into your home as holiday gifts:
- Take the pledge to keep button batteries and devices that use them out of reach if the battery compartments aren’t secure.
- Know what to do if your child swallows a battery. Go to the emergency room right away. Don’t let your child eat or drink or induce vomiting and, if possible, provide medical personnel with the type of battery or what kind of device the battery came from.
Thanks for reading Tech Savvy Mama through your feed!
Original post by Tech Savvy Mama