Earlier this week I shared my experience driving a Toyota Camry for a week but since the vehicle was launched in North America in 1991, owners have felt a connection to the car and also the Toyota brand. Everyone seems to have a story about the Camry. With 7 million Camry drivers, Toyota launched the Camry Effect where owners share their stories and memories surrounding the vehicle.
I reached out on Facebook to ask who owned Camrys and got these great stories from friends who were happy to share their Toyota memories.
What are your Camry memories? Feel free to share yours in the comments after you read these:
- It was the first car I purchased with my name on it and first car after graduating from college. —Melanie, Modernmami.com
- My mom drove a Camry for much of my late teen hood. That car always signifies warmth to me as some of my best memories were we she’d drive me to school in days it was so cold waiting for the bus, her Camry rescued me! —Cristie, http://TheRightHandMom.com
- Ask my dad. He still drives the one I learned to drive on. 🙂 — Julie Gordon, high school friend and incredibly creative creative director
- When I met my husband he had a 10 year old Camry! We traded it in at over 200,000 miles, still going strong. We needed more space or we’d have kept it. —Windy Sibbersen, eBay Super Seller who blogs at Windylou
- I’ve owned a Toyota Camry and I have lots of memories. but I think the best one is when we moved from VA to WI and we hooked up a TV & VCR to play for Nathan for the drive. He was 18 months and we watched Barney all the way from VA to WI in our Camry. —Michele McGraw, Scraps of My Geek Life who wrote about her many Toyota memories in a post called “My Life Remembered in Toyota Cars”
- I got my Camry as a gift from my parents in college… since it’s gone from me, my husband, my dad, and now to my little sister… and I fully expect for it to be passed on to MY kids in about 10 years. It is THAT awesome! —Grace Duffy, Formerly Gracie
- Not an exciting car, but I loved it. So comfortable and reliable and I really likes the way it handled. It was my first Toyota, and I’ve been a Toyota driver since. —J.P. McDermott, former neighbor who currently drives a Prius
- My dad is driving an 87 Camry. Yes, that’s present tense. Need I say more? —Michele Macomber, Pain Free Maryland
- I’ve driven 3; My mom’s 1990 Red Camry, my husband’s 1992 and 1995 Camry’s (we just said goodbye to the 1995 Camry this past spring). And when we can go back to a sedan (we have three kids) we will probably buy another one. — Nancy Horn, The Mama Maven and Baby Center
- I’ve owned two Camry’s. One I got in high school and I retired at 297K in my 20’s and the other one made it 287K miles. They were the best cars and I was truly sad to see them go in both cases. They served our family so well! Still driving Toyotas at our house, though – a Sienna and a Highlander. —Jenny Rapson, Mommin It Up
- I’m a big car lover and was never interested in Toyotas. I was also a hybrid skeptic. And yet earlier this I bought a Toyota Camry Hybrid and I am in love with it. After years of owning big cars, I’m in love with the zippiness and amazing gas mileage! —Fadra Nally, All Things Fadra
This post was inspired by The Camry Effect campaign and my participation in the Toyota Women’s Influencer Network (TWIN) program. I was selected for participation in the TWIN community through a program with Clever Girls Collective. All opinions are my own and based on personal experience and do not reflect the views of Toyota.