Last year at BlogHer, I had the pleasure of sitting down for breakfast with Texas Instruments to learn about the kinds of interactive math and science lessons today’s students are doing with the TI-Nspire CX graphing calculator with two high school teachers who use it daily in their classrooms. Despite being in the honors track for my science and math classes, I never loved algebra and chemistry because there were things about learning the subjects via paper and pencil that my very concrete brain did not understand.
Being able to interact with content on the TI-Nspire CX years later as I watched data being graphed directly on the screen and then class data being pulled together at the front of the room finally made sense! Where were you so many years ago? Luckily for today’s students, incredible tools like the TI-Nspire are widely used in science, technology, engineering, and math classes all over the country for students in different grades.
Since school is back in session, I’ll be joining #STEMchat and h Texas Instruments Education Technology to talk all things STEM on Tuesday, September 17 from 9-10 PM ET.
Not only can you look forward to a lively and informative chat, but you’ll have a chance to win a TI-Nspire™ CX graphing handheld by joining me and the other fabulous September panelists.
We’ll be tweeting with:
- Jennifer Williams, @MyFrugalWife, is a stay-at-home-mom that is typically blogging at My Frugal Wife or running races to raise awareness for great causes when she is not taking care of her family.
- Shelly Kramer, @ShellyKramer, is the founder + CEO of V3 Integrated Marketing. She is a brand strategist serving clients in both the B2B and B2C space. She’s also the mother of four daughters and passionate about STEM education and opportunities for girls.
- Kelly Kutach, a Texas Instruments mathematician will be tweeting as @TICalculators.
- Kim Moldofsky, a longtime friend who tweets as @KimMoldofsky and, possibly, @STEMchat if her personal account lands in Twitter jail!
- And me! Leticia Barr, @TechSavvyMama, a mom of 2 elementary aged children who uses her experience as a former teacher and technology specialist for a large DC Metro school to champion STEM learning in her own kids while providing tips for her TechSavvyMama.com readers on integrating STEM into family life.
Here are the Twitter party details:
- What: #STEMchat with
- When: Tuesday, September 17 from 9-10 PM ET
- Where: Follow #STEMchat on Twitter and to make it easier, we suggest using Twubs.com.
- Who: @JeanneBernish, @TechSavvyMama, @MyFrugalWife, @ShellyKramer, @KimMoldofsky @TICalculators
- Prizes: 1 TI-Nspire™ CX graphing handheld will be given away during Tuesday’s Twitter party but if you’d like another chance to win one, visit Kim’s post on The Maker Mom to enter her reader giveaway where she’s giving a second one away!
I am being compensated for my time as a co-panelist and for writing this post. Images courtesy of Kim Moldofsky and Texas Instruments.