The Maker Mom’s Kim Moldofsky and I are joining forces again bring you another interactive Google+ #STEMchatOnAir! Join us on April 29 to discuss careers in aquatic sciences and animal care including to become a dolphin trainer!
Our special guest is Ken Ramirez, Executive Vice President of Animal Care and Training at the John G. Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. And yes, he knows how to train dolphins!
Ken is a biologist and animal behaviorist with more than 35 years of experience under his belt. He began his training career working with guide dogs for the visually impaired and has maintained a close affiliation to pet training throughout his career. In fact, he once hosted two seasons of the pet training television series, Talk to the Animals, which compared pet training to the important work done with training and caring for animals in zoological facilities.
Basically, Ken has the job that Kim wanted but never pursued because no one ever mapped out a career path for her!
During our 30 minute G+ chat we’ll be asking Ken all sorts of questions including the kinds of careers and coursework required become a biologist and animal behavorist. We look forward to learning of opportunities for middle and high school students including research opportunities, internships, and get a broader perspective on potential career paths. We also know we’ll get some helpful advice for parents and kids.
Perhaps if someone like Ken had been around to provide guidance to me, I would have become a marine biologist like I dreamed!
#STEMchatOnAir G+ Chat Details
- What: How Do You Become a Dolphin Trainer
- When: Tuesday, April 29 from 2-2:30 pm ET
- Where: Here’s the link to RSVP on G+
- Who should participate: Anyone who has a future marine biologist, veterinarian, or animal trainer in their house!
Technical Tips for Joining a G+ Hangout On Air
- Make sure you have a Google+ account. If you have gmail, you have a Google Plus account, though you may need to activate it.
- Add Kim Moldofsky to your circles. (While you’re at it add Leticia and The Maker Mom)
- RSVP to our #STEMchatOnAir hangout via the G+ event page.
- Once you click confirm on the event, you’ll get a notification within G+ that will allow you to join the hangout once it is live.
We look forward to you joining us for our upcoming #STEMchatOnAir as we answer questions about how you can really become a dolphin trainer!