INSERT DISCLOSURE POLICY HERE
CHALLENGE: You have enough space for a full disclosure, but you’ll never rise to the top of your readers’ feeds if your status update is too lengthy.
- Ad: I’m loving my new Brand X Infant Car Seat, especially because I know it will keep Baby safe! Thanks @Brand X!
- Sponsored by @Brand X: Thanks for the Brand X Infant Car Seat – love it and am glad that I can rest easy knowing Baby is safe!
- Affiliate link: Brand X is having a 20% off sale today – use promo code 123.
- We heart our new Brand X Infant Car Seat – you can win one over on @Brand X’s Facebook Page! #sponsored
- Love our new Brand X Infant Car Seat we just got from @Brand X. Check out its awesome safety rating on @Brand X’s Website! #advertisement
- Get 20% off your Brand X Infant Car Seat with promo code 123. (Heads up: it’s an affiliate link).
Tip: Consider whether you’re getting your reader to click the affiliate/sponsored link before ever getting to the disclosure – as in the last 3 examples above. If so, your disclosure may not be effective. (This applies across all social media platforms). Also, you can’t always assume your audience knows what “affiliate link” means – you may need to explain further.
CHALLENGE: Limited to 140 characters, you’ll need to maximize your words while clearly conveying your disclosure.
- Lead with “Ad:” or “Sponsored”
- Lead with #Ad or #Sponsored
- Affiliate link: _______
- Sponsored link: ________
Tip: Using the abbreviated hashtag #spon is not sufficient.
3. Blog Posts
CHALLENGE: You don’t want to use up valuable SEO real estate in the opening paragraphs of your post.
Here’s where you should use a full disclosure paragraph, plus you can direct readers to your Disclosure Page if you have one. (But remember that only hyperlinking to your Disclosure Page without making your disclosure directly in your blog post is not enough). If you balk at an entire paragraph inserted before your content, pare it down to a sentence or two and follow up at the end of your post with more information or explanation.
- I received a free Infant Car Seat from Brand X in exchange for writing a review on the blog.
- I went to a free screening of Movie X and received additional compensation from Company Y.
- This post contains sponsored links from Company X.
- This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive _____.
- Beginning of post: This is a sponsored post that contains affiliate links. End of post: I received compensation in exchange for writing this review. [Optional: Although this post is sponsored, all opinions are my own.] This post contains affiliate links, which means _____.
Tip: Disclosures that aren’t made until the end of your post when you’ve inserted affiliate or sponsored links in the content that comes before the disclosure may be construed as misleading.