Summer is on the horizon and with it comes unstructured days, pool time, and the anticipation of eagerly awaited summer sequels to favorite movies like Despicable Me 2. We’re huge fans of the first movie where supervillian, Gru, transforms from being a heartless criminal mastermind into a loving father figure for his three adopted daughters and the antics of the yellow-goggle-wearing-overall-clad Minions so we’re pretty thrilled to be guests of Universal Pictures this weekend for a preview of Despicable Me 2 in Orlando. Disclosure: As guests of Universal Pictures, they are paying for our expenses for the trip but all opinions are my own and those of my two traveling companions.
About Despicable Me 2:
Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment’s worldwide blockbuster Despicable Me entertained audiences around the globe in 2010, grossing more than $540 million and becoming the 10th-biggest animated motion picture in U.S. history. In summer 2013, get ready for more Minion madness in Despicable Me 2.
Chris Meledandri and his acclaimed filmmaking team create an all-new comedy adventure featuring the return of (former?) super-villain Gru (Steve Carell), his adorable girls, the unpredictably hilarious Minions…and a host of new and outrageously funny characters.
We’ve been preparing for our trip with lots of Despicable Me fun but one thing my two amusement park ride lovers are most looking forward to besides seeing the new movie is going on Minion Mayhem. Minion Mayhem is a 3D simulator ride that opened last summer and replaced the Jimmy Neutron ride at Universal Studios Orlando. Even though our kids love a great ride, I’ve shown them a couple previews to not only increase the already ridiculous excitement but to let them know what to expect.
If you’re eagerly anticipating the movie, here are 5 things you and your young fans can do in the meantime:
- Tweet me any questions you have about Despicable Me 2 or share your experiences riding Minion Mayhem @TechSavvyMama and follow our fun using #DM2Orlando. We’ll preview the movie tonight and tomorrow we’ll be searching for Minons!
- Download Bop-a-Minon. Based on the traditional Whack-a-Mole game, players will have fun bopping as many Minions as you can and earning coins while avoiding bombs. The more you bop, the higher your score. The game increases in difficulty based on the speed in which the Minions are popping up and dropping down into their holes. To download the game, text MINIONS to 834567 to start playing on your smart phone.
- Keep an eye out for #DespicaBlimp. Yes, there really is a blimp shaped like a minion on its side making stops across the country! Visit the Despicablimp Command Center to track the blimp via GPS or follow it at @DespicaBlimp to see when it might be stopping in your area.
- Go behind the scenes of the movie on the Despicable Me 2 Minion Illumination Nation site or take a look inside at Despicable Headquarters.
- Check out fun photographs from Minion Nation via Instagram
If you haven’t seen Despicable Me and you’re wondering if it is right for your family, visit Common Sense Media to read their review to determine if it would be appropriate for your children.
Universal Pictures invited me and the kids for a Despicable Me 2 weekend and covered our travel, accommodations, and passes to Universal Studios and provided us with other goodies during our visit. No compensation was received and opinions are my own and those of my travel companions.