This is a sponsored post written on behalf of Wayfair
During the summer, we spend almost as much time outside as we do inside but our backyard is hardly the outdoor living paradise I’d love it to be. In my head, I’ve envisioned what I’d like our backyard to look like complete with a flagstone patio, brick oven, and plenty of cushy seating underneath twinkling lights hanging from our old trees where we enjoy time with friends on warm summer nights. Dreams of transforming our vast backyard into the oasis I’d love it to be is a bit overwhelming from a budget perspective so instead, I’m focusing on small changes that can make a big impact that won’t break the bank.
Last year I purchased an outdoor bistro table set from Wayfair.com that’s just the perfect side for a corner patio outside our back door. For just around $100 this table has served as an outdoor office on gorgeous spring days, a spot where the kids can have a snack when they refuse to come outside, and spot from which our backyard chickens regularly beg when they see us at our kitchen table on the other side of the window. But it’s always been missing something.
“Don’t be afraid of color,” my high school art teacher always advised and color is exactly what this spot has been missing.
Planters with colorful flowers have dressed it up a bit but to give it that true pop, I turned to Wayfair again to shop for an outdoor rug among their incredible selection where you can find rugs of every size (runner or area), shape (round or rectangular), colors, and patterns. While it’s easy to get overwhelmed, once you click on a rug you like, Wayfair will provide suggestions of rugs that other customers viewed, often in the same color palate.
My desire for a rug with blues for the sky, green for the grass, and a bit of gray to tie in the exterior of our house led to the Sun N’ Shade in Seaglass.
For $69.88 (for the 5’3″ x 7′ 5″ size), the indoor/outdoor rug transforms the space, adding a much wanted pop of color to this little corner patio that ties together the yard.
I even repurposed a plant stand that had been hiding out in our basement. The darker shade of green goes nicely with the rug and I potted some rosemary for additional color until I can get my flowers in the two urns in the corners of the patio.
While shopping for a rug for our outdoor space, I found many that evoked past travels that made me think how easy it would be to give your backyard a global feel with any of these five rugs.
- Carribean Geometric Navy Area Rug evokes the hand painted tile I saw in Turkey at places like the Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace
- The Tropez Blue & Green Tropical Inspired reminds me of our honeymoon in Costa Rica and the time we spent in Monteverde, the cloud forest in the country’s rainforest
- The Home and Porch Red Floral and Plants is like a detail from one of vegetable dyed indoor rugs that came from the Middle East
- Go nautical with the Catamaran Ivory & Navy Striped Area Rug that is classic New England
- The coral-like design transports me back to Hawaii and would be a perfect choice for a seaside home with a view of the ocean especially since the Ventura Area Rug can be used indoors or out
As a Wayfair Homemaker, I received a gift card to help with the cost of the product(s) mentioned in this post. Photos taken with the Samsung #NX500.