As moms, it’s easy to get caught up in parenting by putting everyone else’s needs first but while your kids need you, they also need you to be your best. As a mom of a 14 and 11 year old, I’ll let you in on a little secret: It’s difficult to be the best version of yourself when you’re tired, stressed, and never get any alone time to take care of yourself which is why I was excited to be invited by Gaylord National Resort to experience Relâche Spa to enjoy some much needed me time.
My Introduction to Relâche Spa
I arrived at Gaylord National Resort excited about the 75 minutes of bliss I would enjoy during treatments that were part of the Get Your Glow On package. I parked in the multi-story garage adjacent to the hotel, walked down the long hallway, down the escalators, and around the corner to the spa where bold black and white stripes and shiny mirrored surfaces greeted me. The front desk and spa shop set the space apart from the rest of the spaces at Gaylord National Resort. From the second you walk through the glass and chrome doors, be ready to be pampered in a luxurious way.
I was greeted by Joy, the front desk manager, and the other spa associates who were friendly and ready to assist. Joy welcomed me and invited me to sit down in one of the black leather arm chairs across from the desk. Once seated, she brought me a portfolio that contained personal information that would allow my treatment provider to know a little more about me. Upon turning in the portfolio, I was ushered through another set of doors where bright lights and bold patterns were replaced by soothing tones, relaxing music, and the soft glow of light coming from trios of battery powered pillar candles placed along the hallway.
As a first time guest at Relâche, I was given a tour of the space that began with the women’s only spaces that included the locker room, Relaxation Room, and Invigorating Room that contained a steam room, sauna, and jacuzzi.
I was guided through another set of doors where more candles lit the way past the treatment rooms, like the couple’s massage room and the co-ed Relaxation Room, both of which have stunning views of the river.
After a brief tour, I was led inside the women’s locker room. After brief instructions on how to set my own code in the locker I changed into my plush robe and slippers and waited in the Relaxation Room to be called for my Get Your Glow On treatments.
About Relâche Spa’s Get Your Glow On Treatments
The online description for the Get Your Glow On package is as follows:
- 50 minute full body scrub to exfoliate dry winter skin, and create the unique sensation of well-being
- 25 minute ELEMIS BIOTEC Radiance Renew Facial to reinvigorate your complexion
- Relaxing neck, and décolleté massage, while enjoying Shelley’s honey heel glaze treatment for your feet
- Receive a complimentary 4 oz travel scrub (while supplies last)
Note: The above descriptions do not do these the treatments justice!
I met my therapist, Trina, who showed me to my treatment room and explained the treatments I’d be receiving as part of the package before we got started to minimize interruptions during experience.
She described the 50 minute Tropical Island Glow Body Treatment, explaining that the Pure Fuji Scrub was infused with coconut milk to moisturize while the salt exfoliates dry winter skin. She showed me the line of ELEMIS BIOTEC products that would be used during my 25 minute Radiance Renew facial and explained how the ultrasonic machine would be used to remove impurities and dead skin cells to leave my pores clearer and skin brighter. Then Trina left me to undress and settle in under the blankets on the cozy table for my 75 minutes of bliss.
Being in a state of complete relaxation, I found the first 50 minutes passed by in an instant. Trina’s fluid feathery strokes massaged my skin with the Pure Fuji Scrub, working each limb. A perfectly hot towel wiped away the scrub before body butter was applied and was tucked back in under the blanket. Scrub, towel, butter, and repeat. Turn over on my back and scrub, towel, butter, repeat. In a heartbeat it was time for my facial.
From the array of ELEMIS BIOTEC products on the small table nearby, Pro-Radiance Cleanser was gently applied and toweled off (again hot towel perfection!) and lavender toner was gently slicked on my skin. My eyes were covered with something cool then a cooling mask was applied to the rest of my face. Trina made smooth strokes from jawline to my nose over the mask to stimulate my skin. When it was removed, the ultrasonic peel process began with a wand gently gliding over my skin to remove the collection of dead skin accumulating on my face because of the dry winter air. Superfood Serum was applied along with Hydra Balance Day Moisturizer, Illuminating Eye Balm, and Neck Balm.
Just like that my 75 minutes of treatment were over. Feeling smooth and incredibly well moisturized, I wrapped my warm robe around myself (see note below for a tip!). I would have been sad to leave if I hadn’t been greeted by Trina when I stepped out of the room. She handed me a glass of champagne and walked me to my new favorite place, the co-ed Relaxation Room.
I was encouraged to stay as long as I liked and in my post-treatment state of pure relaxation, I settled in, sipping champagne, watching planes fly low over the river about to land at National Airport, and planning which treatment to book during my next luxurious me day visit to Relâche Spa.
Relâche Spa Reader Discount & Spa Specials
Since there’s no there’s better time than the beginning of the year to make a resolution to be energized for the new year and beyond, Relâche Spa is offering DC area readers 10% off Get Your Glow On and Holistic Stress Buster packages with the code NewYear2018 when you call the spa at 301-965-4400 to make your appointment.
This month Relâche Spa also has January specials for just $120. Normally priced at $160 each, the following specials are available Monday-Thursday:
- 50 Minute New Year New You Massage
- 50 Minute New Year New You Facial
- 50 Minute Tropical Island Glow Body Treatment
6 Tips for Visiting Relâche Spa
As a first time visitor to Relâche Spa, here are six things I learned during my experience that I thought I’d share with you so you can enjoy your visit as much as I did.
- When confirming of your appointment, spa staff ask that you arrive 30 minutes early. I highly recommend arriving early so you can take your time and relax before your treatment begins. Having extra time is also helpful for first-time guests to get acquainted with all Relâche has to offer.
- Once inside your treatment room, hang your robe on the heated rack. Instead of folding it and draping it over the top, spread it out. It will be wonderfully warm to step into post-treatment if you’ve spread it out so the entire robe can be heated.
- While both the women’s and co-ed Relaxation Rooms have tea, fruit infused water, apples, and other snacks, the co-ed Relaxation Room has the better view and blankets. It was blissful to be able to sit and just be after my treatments. Just beware the table surface is a little bumpy. It’s fine for setting plates, water glasses, and tea cups but champagne glasses are a little tippy on the uneven surface.
- Relâche Spa guests enjoy 3 free hours of self parking in the multistory garage to the left of the hotel or $10 towards valet parking. Don’t feel constrained by the 3 hours of free parking. It’s worth it to stay longer and enjoy your time in the Relaxation Rooms or Invigorating Room and pay extra for parking.
- There is a service fee included with your treatment that will go directly to your therapy provider but you are always welcome to tip beyond the service fee.
- If you visit for the Get Your Glow On package, Trina advised me to use the steam room instead of showering or using the Jacuzzi after my treatment. She said the steam would melt any remaining granules of the scrub away without rinsing away the ELEMIS BIOTEC serum she had applied.
As a Washington, D.C. area resident, I’ve experienced family fun at Gaylord National Resort but each time I’ve been there, I’ve looked longingly at Relâche Spa when passing it en route to ICE! during Christmas on the Potomac or to a swim up movie during Sounds of SummerFest. I don’t deny that Gaylord National Resort has fun staycation options for families in their area but was thrilled to finally experience the that relaxation awaited me on the property for a luxurious day of pampering and much needed time to myself.
I was a guest of Relâche Spa and was treated a complimentary Get Your Glow On package. All opinions are my own and based on personal experience. No compensation was received for this post.