If I’ve seemed more absent this month, it’s because I’ve been focusing on balancing work, family, and my own personal wellness. I’ve committed to run as a St. Jude Hero for my third St. Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend race and I’ve added visits to Orange Theory Fitness three times a week to my training. I’ve adjusted my work schedule to accommodate daytime classes and given up working nights in favor of earlier bedtimes to provide the rest that my body needs. It hasn’t been easy but I’ve made it a priority especially asGlobal Wellness Day approaches.
Personal wellness in a digital world takes a conscious effort to achieve but it’s important for our well-being and even more important to model for our kids. Being mindful about our technology use and unplugging is essential to living well and achieving harmony between body and spirit, whether at home or traveling.
To showcase how travel and wellness intersect and how you can maintain self-care at home, Four Seasons Hotel Washington, DC is celebrating Global Wellness Day next Saturday, June 9, 2018 and DC area residents are invited! For the fourth consecutive year, Four Seasons Washington, DC will be observing this social movement that is celebrated in 4,000 locations in 100 countries across the globe. The movement is a non-profit venture focuses on the importance of living well and encompasses everything from exercise and beauty treatments, spiritual teachings and ways of thinking, to the harmony between body and spirit.
This year, Four Seasons Washington’s celebratory roster is an exciting one with self-care activities planned for the entire day. Guests and those living in the area are invited to join fitness classes, attend meditation and Ayurveda seminars, listen to the hotel’s in-house specialists for a well being panel discussion and enjoy healthy food and beverage offerings.
Here’s a look at the events Four Seasons Washington has planned for Global Wellness Day (that include yoga sessions with my good friend, Elena Sonnino!) that you can join for free if you’re in the area.
Fitness Activities at Four Seasons Hotel Washington, DC for Global Wellness Day
- 7:00 – 8:00 AM: Bernand will kick off the Global Wellness Day activities by leading guests on the Run My City course through DC’s most iconic monuments, memorials and museums. After participants have completed the approximately 5-kilometre run, they will return to Four Seasons.
- 8:00 – 9:00 AM: Join Martha Beck certified life coach and yoga instructor St. Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend race alongside the C&O Canal. Calm the hustle, quiet the mind, and strengthen the body with this whole body practice. Begin with grounding postures and breath work that flow seamlessly into building standing postures, providing space within the body to deepen and space within the mind to endure.
- 1:00 – 11:00 AM: Join Nikolett Kiss for Zumba and continue the fitness-party as she takes you on a dance journey with Latin and international rhythms in The Fitness Club’s workout studio.
Fresh Watermelon & Mint Juices and Banana Cranberry Mini Health Muffins will be provided complimentary after each activity to help guests refuel and energize for the rest of the day.
Wellness Activities at Four Seasons Hotel Washington, DC for Global Wellness Day
- 9:00–10:00 AM: Increase Vitality through Ayurveda with Chopra Center Certified teacher, Susan Weis-Bohlen, who is the former owner of Breathe Books and Breath Bookstore Café in Baltimore. Ayurveda is the 5000-year-old Indian practice of wellbeing which includes yoga and meditation. Ayurveda emphasizes that food is medicine and encourages a unique, individual practice to suit your needs.
- 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM: A comprehensive panel discussion featuring Four Seasons Washington’s in-house experts on self-care techniques, drawing from the Hotel’s ‘Just for YOU’ wellness retreat. Each coach will share knowledge from their own unique field, and give practical advice on how to make better choices day-to-day to increase wellbeing. About the panelists:
- Registered Aromatherapist and founder of Petal Life, Sonee Singh, whose mission is to Inspire Conscious Living by teaching YOU to take control of your health and wellness
- Hotel Executive Chef, Andrew Court, giving tricks to cooking better and healthier for YOU
- Hotel’s Spa Director and Self-Care Expert, Dinka Cammett , who specializes in personalized alternative approaches such as Reiki
- Certified Life Coach, St. Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend race, sharing mindset tweaks to make room for YOU in your life
- Manager of The Better Nutrition Program , Rachel Silverman MS RD, is a better health enabler powered by better nutrition
- 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM: Join Martha Beck certified life coach and yoga instructor, Elena Sonnino for an interactive talk on meditation. Explore strategies and ways to incorporate meditation in daily life or to take an existing practice to new depths through movement, breath, and an understanding of the chakra system to go deeper into oneself.
- 4:00 PM – 4:30 PM: Come for the stillness, leave with the glow that exists within. After her meditation lecture, Sonnino will lead a 30-minute guided meditation designed to activate hope. Appropriate for all levels.
Sessions About Self-Care at Home During Four Seasons Hotel Washington, DC Global Wellness Day
- 9-11 AM & 2-5 PM: Meet Sonee Singh, Petal Life owner and Registered Aromatherapist™ and allow her to assess your well-being. Singh will blend therapeutic grade essential oils to re-align your chakras, giving attendees a better sense of balance. Aromatherapy blends will be available for purchase.
10 – 10:45 AM: Susan Weis-Bohlen, Ayurvedic consultant will have copies of her new best-selling book, Ayurveda Beginner’s Guide: Essential Ayurvedic Principles and Practices to Balance & Heal Naturally available for sale. For guests who purchase Weis-Bohlen’s book they will receive a complimentary pulse reading and tongue diagnosis.
Advanced registration is not required but recommended for participation, and events are open to the public on a first come, first serve basis. To RSVP to the Global Wellness activities, please e-mail PR.WAS@fourseasons.com.
Traveling to Washington, D.C. and interested in enjoying the wellness options offered by Four Seasons Hotel Washington, DC during your stay? You can create a highly customized self-care wellness retreat based on your own needs to help re-prioritize your health. For additional information or to make a reservation, call 202 944 2055. Once the experience is booked, the Hotel’s Spa Director Dinka Cammett will contact you directly to schedule all pre-arrival and in-house consultations.
I was invited to attend Global Wellness Day by Four Seasons Hotel Washington, DC but was not compensated for this post.