Having our kids home with us all day gives them opportunities to ask us important questions about current events but sometimes they’re ones we can’t answer. Thank goodness Nightly News: Kids Edition is here to help!
About Nightly News: Kids Edition
Nightly News: Kids Edition is a brand-new newscast specifically designed for children during these difficult times. Featuring NBC Nightly News’ Lester Holt (my favorite news anchor!) this newscast is designed to inform and inspire young viewers. New episodes aired twice a week (Tuesdays & Thursdays at 4 pm ET) provide answers in a kid-friendly format that still allows families to limit media their kids’ media exposure.
Broadcasting from their homes, Lester and other reporters from the NBC Nightly News family explain current events in ways kids of all ages can understand. Along with Lester, Dr. John Torres, Kate Snow, Kristen Dahlgren, Gadi Schwartz, Al Roker and others interview experts to address topics in kid-friendly ways through 10-15 minute episodes.
Issues covered in the bi-weekly episodes have included:
- questions about the coronavirus pandemic
- what the supply chain is and why it’s being affected by the coronavirus
- tips for the millions of students adjusting to remote learning
- how a vaccine works
- the lockdown’s impact on the environment
- tips on keeping your pets safe
- how to have fun at home with your family
- how to have gym class at home
Each episode is positive, informative, inspiring, thoughtful, and focuses on kids by featuring kids. Kids ask questions, help explain newsworthy topics, and have been featured on the episodes.
Kids Edition does a great job showcasing the incredible things kids are doing around the country during the pandemic. Episodes have introduced viewers to a teenager flying supplies to hospitals around his state and showed us how one little girl is on a very big adventure while still being at home.
Other inspirational kids include:
- A 10-year-old from Connecticut who was inspired to start his own newspaper during the pandemic
- A set of South Carolina twins are helping those in need of food
- Girls on both coasts who helping our healthcare workers
Where to Watch Nightly News: Kids Edition
New episodes of Nightly News: Kids Edition are posted on NBCNews.com every Tuesday and Thursday at 4pm ET. You can also find them on the NBC News YouTube channel (click Subscribe so you are always notified of new episodes!), NBC News Apps, as well as the network’s new streaming service Peacock.
No compensation was received for this post. We’re just big fans of Lester Holt and NBC Nightly News and now Nightly News: Kids Edition!