Our fascination with our images started well before selfies became a word, in fact, it began in infancy. I remember being a new parent and my daughter’s excitement in catching a glimpse of herself in the mirror that’s translated into my kids, ages 7 and 10, using their iPods to snap images of themselves. Last week I published my first piece for news station, WTOP, on selfies and why we’re so intrigued by them. Hint: It’s after the Kids and media: How much is too much? post so keep scrolling!
Like it or not, selfies are here to say and this week there was huge buzz about the Samsung NX Mini. I admit it- I hate taking selfies but since the NX Mini already being called “the ultimate selfie camera” by Mashable, there might be hope for me yet!
This super slim compact camera features interchangeable lenses, a touch screen display measuring 3” that swivels 180 degrees to view selfies as they’re being taken, 20.5 MP, the ability to record in 1080p, and connectivity via smart wifi and NFC. Photographers who use other Samsung interchangeable lens systems like the NX300 and NX30 will be able to use their lenses with the NX Mini with a lens adapter that will also come out this spring.Available in eye popping pink and mint along with classic black, white, and brown, this camera isn’t shipping quite yet so eager selfie lovers will have to sign up to be notified when the NX Mini becomes available.
Even though I haven’t personally tested this camera yet (but hope to soon as a Samsung Imagelogger!), there are plenty of positive reviews that make me covet this camera. Here’s what you need to know about the latest camera from Samsung that is coming soon.
- Evolve has already named it one of the top 5 mirrorless cameras available this spring.
- Mashable describes it as the “ultimate selfie camera” that lets “you see yourself in all your selfie glory whenever you need to snap a quick shot of yourself.”
- Reviewed.com Cameras said “Samsung broke new ground” with the NX Mini that they describe as “a thin camera that replicates the premium point-and-shoot experience with a little more control, a larger sensor, and interchangeable lenses” in The Razor Thin Samsung NX Puts the Power of Interchangeable Lenses in Your Pocket.
- For a peek at the launch event, visit the NX Mini Launching Show post on the Samsung site for an inside look.
- Need tips on taking selfies? Cool Mom Tech shares 8 tips for taking a selfie with kids. Because you want to be in the shot too, right?
The Samsung NX Mini is available for pre-order from Amazon and is rumored to cost $450 for the camera that comes with a 9 mm lens and $500 for the 9-27mm lens version.
I am a Samsung #Imagelogger and receive Samsung bodies and lenses in exchange for using their gear for my photos but I am not required to post and all opinions are my own. I’m just really excited about this new compact interchangeable lens system that uses prime lenses! Original selfie courtesy of Caroline Murphy of Smarty Pants Mama and CMAP Media. Affiliate links included in this post.