Super Why fans familiar with the cast and their adventures as they look into books to help them solve problems will love that Whyatt and the crew are exploring a new kind of book in an upcoming episode. Super Why will be whipping up a whole new reading-powered adventure when the Super Readers soar into the pages of a cookbook for the very first time!
Super Why and the Cookbook will premiere January 29 on PBS stations from coast to coast. Check local listings for the new episode Whyatt wants to bake his little sister a special birthday cake – but he doesn’t know how. So Super Why and his friends have to soar into a new kind of book – and get the information they need from a rhyming chef with a silly sense of humor as well as a recipe for fun! In the end, Whyatt learns how to create the perfect birthday for Baby Joy.
Encouraging preschoolers to read recipes, signs and more helps them navigate their world and gives them a real reason to use their new-found literacy skills. Asking questions will expand their creativity as well as reinforce comprehension. It can also inspire them to write their own signs, recipes or stories!
Here are some awesome tips to help you cook up your very own yummy reading adventure!
- Pick out a simple and tasty recipe with your budding Super Reader. Ask them to point out all of the letters and words they already know in the ingredients
- Write a grocery list together, sounding out the words as you go along
- At the supermarket, have your kids help read the signs so you can find the ingredients you need
- As you cook, read the recipe out loud every step of the way
- Before serving your delicious treat, create colorful place cards for each member of the family, assisting your preschooler in writing out the names.
- Have fun – and bon appetite!
The new Super Why episodes, including Super Why and the Cookbook, are highlighted on the PBS Kids website.
Young viewers familiar with the show will enjoy the interactive alphabet and word games in this new episode, as well as imagination-stimulating spelling, vocabulary and comprehension activities that they have come to know and love that help instill a life-long love of reading all along the way!
I consult for PBS Teachers but was not compensated for the content in this post.
Thanks for reading Tech Savvy Mama through your feed!
Original post by Tech Savvy Mama