This skinny compact phone has a beautiful screen that feels good in your hand and is the lightest and thinnest of the Windows Phone 7 devices.
|Blue tiles on
The phone came with a white background and lime green accent color. When it seems that almost everyone is using black, the change to a white background is rather refreshing. The screens flip away in pieces when starting apps or making selections from menus. It’s a neat effect that has been novel during the two months of testing but one can’t help wonder if this gets old after awhile.
Syncing Email, Contacts, and Calendars
The Samsung Focus includes a 5 megapixel camera with a flash. It also records 720p HD video. Users with older smartphones will be amazed at how much better the cameras on phones have gotten. The camera takes clear pictures. When taking pictures of light colored things, it seemed there was a red cloud in the middle of the pictures. Strange.
When a picture is taken, it can be shared immediately from the screen, eliminating extra navigational steps like on most other phones. There’s also a dedicated camera button that can be used even when the phone is locked.
|Windows Phone 7 Pictures Hub|
I have always been a big fan of voice dialing on phones. Some phone vendors haven’t taken this seriously, and others are starting to catch on. Ten years ago, you had to record a name for each person manually. Five years ago, you didn’t have to record the name, but your phone would sit there thinking about whether to call “Domino’s Pizza or “Dominic in Palo Alto.”
The new fad is that the phone sends your voice up to the Internet where the brainpower of an entire datacenter can think about the answer and get back to you with, thankfully, the right answer. For Microsoft, it’s “powered by TellMe”, a leader in voice recognition software, and company Microsoft acquired a few years ago. They are the ones who run the 800 directory listing service. So rest assured, you’re dealing with commercial-quality speech recognition here.
Other apps that are necessities include:
- Twitter and Facebook because a busy social media mom on the go can’t ever be out of touch with her networks
- WordPress to manage content on sites like MyBlogalicious and ChicaLogic so I can be sure that new content is always being loaded
- The Weather Channel for helping me plan our pool trips around the day’s thunderstorms
- Apps for the kids that help them learn wherever we may be and keep them entertained during unexpected long waits. My phone came preloaded with Smarty Sharky ($1.29— math for ages 3-5), Flashcards (free — interactive way to review all kinds of content), Math 4 Kids (free—math puzzles that make it fun to learn basic concepts), and Giggle Pad (free— interactive puzzle game containing songs, colors, sounds, shapes, and even fireworks).
The home screen is fully customizable as are the ringtones. I found it funny that the volume was adjustable from 0 to 30. I wonder how much louder 27 is versus 25? From the volume menu, you can quickly put the phone into vibrate mode. There didn’t seem to be a shortcut for enabling/disabling GPS, Bluetooth or Airplane mode. For many people, that’s probably not an issue. Overall, the number of changeable settings and options seems to be on the low side. The phone seems to fall between Android (fully customizable) and the iPhone (exactly the way Steve Jobs wants it).
The phone ran flawlessly and was quite responsive with no crashes or errors. Whether or not you’ve looked at Windows phones in the past, Windows Phone 7 is definitely worth checking out.
GIVEAWAY: Win a Samsung Focus Windows Phone 7 courtesy of Microsoft! Please note that this giveaway is for the device only and does not come with AT&T service. AT&T customers can most likely use their SIM card from their current service plan but are encouraged to check with AT&T.
TO ENTER: Leave a comment about your biggest pet peeve about your current smartphone. Include your email or Twitter handle in your comment to be eligible to win. Comments must be left before Sunday, July 10 at 12:00 EST.
For extra entries, complete the above and do any of the following:
- Tweet this daily and leave a comment with the link to your tweet: Samsung Focus @WindowsPhone 7 review & #giveaway on @TechSavvyMama! I entered 2 win here: www.TechSavvyMama.com
- Follow @TechSavvyMama on Twitter and comment below.
- Follow Windows Phone on Twitter and let me know in your comment.
- Subscribe to this blog via email and tell me you’ve done so below
- Be my Facebook friend and leave a comment. My new Leticia-TechSavvyMama page is up but under construction!
- Post the Tech Savvy Mama badge on your site and leave a link to your blog in your comment. Here is the badge HTML:
Fine print: Eligible comments for this giveaway must be received by Sunday, July 10 at 12:00 pm EST. Winner will selected by Random.org and contacted via email or DMed on Twitter. Winner has 24 hours to respond with a US shipping address and their phone number or another winner will be selected. Winner acknowledges that the Samsung Focus Windows Phone 7 giveaway is for the device only and no service is part of the giveaway. Leticia- Tech Savvy Mama and Microsoft are not responsible for items lost, damaged, or delayed during shipping.
Thanks for reading Tech Savvy Mama through your feed!
Original post by Tech Savvy Mama