As much as I look forward to the holidays for some much needed rest and relaxation and some time unplugged, the remaining items on my to-do list, the few posts I need to write between now and the New Year, and trying to prepare for CES at the start of 2015 seem to indicate that I’ll be working over the holidays but I know I’m not alone.
According to a recent survey of travelers conducted by Lab42, Microsoft recently found that 42% of people traveling during the holidays will be working on the go and 74% claim they need a device that can run full productivity software, such as documents, spreadsheets and presentations. In addition, 88% of people said it’s important to combine everything for work and personal time into one device, yet many carry multiple electronics that each serve one specific purpose.
Since I’m a big fan of streamlining and having one single device that can do it all, I appreciate the capabilities of the Microsoft Surface Pro 3. Surface makes it easy to switch between work and play at moment’s notice so I can enjoy the holidays while working on the go.
What are some of the benefits of the Surface 3 for those who have to spend a bit of time working over the holidays?
- Power in a portable package— Surface 3 is an Intel 2 in 1 device that combines a laptop, tablet, MP3 player and e-reader into an all-in-one machine that is slim, lightweight, and has a great keyboard that doesn’t add much bulk to the device.
- Battery life— Nine hours of web-browsing battery life means you’ll stay powered up throughout your flight and beyond.
- Streamlined security lines— While other travelers have to remove their laptops from their bags to go through the TSA line, Surface owners can keep their devices in their bags.
- Collaboration on the go— Accessing documents on my Surface Pro 3 is made easier with Office 365 and Office Mobile. Having both makes it easy to access important documents when away from home but also allows me to edit and create new documents so the content and formatting remains the same across Office on a PC, Mac, tablet, or phone! Skype is a fabulous tool for chat features and quick video calls to touch base with colleagues or say hi to far away family members who aren’t joining you over the holidays.
- Access documents in the cloud through OneNote and OneDrive— Those who move between computers at work, at home, and also like to travel light will appreciate that OneNote and OneDrive provide easy access to all documents in the cloud so you’ll never be without what you need for work. And did you know that OneDrive now provides unlimited storage to Office 365 subscribers? It’s true!
- Multitasking— Thanks to Windows 8.1, multitasking is easy! I can run up to four apps and my favorite programs next to each other while doing a video Skype chat at the same time!
- Easy set up and personalization— I’m a creature of habit and love my Windows desktop just the way it is. The charms are in the right places and each one is just the right size. I’d hate having to customize my screen with every new Windows device I had to set up. I truly appreciate that once I personalize my settings, connect to the Internet, sync my email accounts, and get my desktop just the way I like it, I just have to sign into my Microsoft account once to quickly recreate all of my settings on my new Surface.
- Ability to access favorite movies and books when work is done— Adding the Netflix app to my Surface 3 allows me to watch favorite content on the go through my subscription or continue reading a great book without the bulk via the Kindle app.
- Find holiday inspiration— One of my favorite apps is MSN Food and Drink. With gorgeous photos, hundreds of thousands of recipes from favorite magazines, world-famous chefs, bloggers and fellow home cooks and content that includes video tutorials, wine and cocktail guides, and so much more, Food and Drink is a fabulous kitchen companion during the holidays and throughout the year. I especially love the Hands-Free Mode that allows me to easily navigate recipe steps with a simple wave of your hand so I don’t have to worry about touching it with messy hands!
Before the holidays, take stock of your digital devices and think about what you need to take with you in order to streamline but maintain your productivity as you achieve some work-life balance to feel refreshed for 2015. Perhaps a Surface Pro 3 can help you find your work-life balance zen! Plus did you know you can feel good about buying a Surface Pro 3 because it’s free of conflict minerals? Read why this is important in Why It Matters to Know What’s Inside Your Computer and the Significance of Conflict Minerals.
As a member of the Intel Smart Squad, I received product in exchange for this post. I am also a compensated member of Microsoft #OfficeChamps. Infograph images courtesy of Surface.
#spon: I’m required to disclose a relationship between our site and Intel This could include Intel providing us w/content, product, access or other forms of payment.